When you start your spring or end of the year cleaning, you might encounter the conundrum of cleaning out double pane windows. Because of the nature of their structure, it might seem rather time-consuming and difficult to be able to properly clean them out. However, Window Washing, a provider of window cleaning equipment in Cape Town explains you should never give in too easily, as there is always a solution to every problem.
What are double pane windows?
Double pane windows are also otherwise commonly known as dual pane windows. As per their name, they are two panes of glass installed side by side on a window frame. Although they are side by side, they are not completely or at all stuck with one another.
Instead, there is a gap filled with air left between the two glass panes so that during the winters, the cold is trapped in that gap whereas, during the summer, the heat is trapped in the gap.
Because of this, the gap tends to serve as a barrier to protect your home from whatever climate you are experiencing at the moment. It can also prevent drastically shifting temperatures from affecting the temperature of your home.
According to Newman Windows & Doors, double pane windows can save your energy usage up to 24 percent during the winters and 18 percent during the summers.
This then results in helping you lower your energy costs while preventing you from relying on your air conditioner or heater at all as the double pane windows do their best to maintain a consistent room temperature.
Temperature control is not all that double pane windows have to offer. You might not realize it initially, but double pane windows are also great at noise-blocking to a certain extent. They prevent too much loud noise from traveling inside your home.
It is important to note, however, that double pane windows are not the same as soundproof equipment. For example, they can lower loud ear-ringing sounds and noises to a murmur or more of a muffled noise.
Especially if you live in a busy district in your city or town then double-pane windows might just be a must for your housing situation.
Considering these pros, double pane windows would be a better investment to make due to their insulation and durability, but it is of importance to know that the maintenance and treatment costs are higher than your regular single pane windows.
How to Clean and Maintain Double Pane Windows
- Drilling: In order to successfully reach the gap inside the two glass panes you would need to drill a hole in the window with the utmost care. The Genie Journal warns that if you are not careful then you might end up breaking your double pane windows entirely, which is why it would be a wise decision to hire a professional to handle the cleaning ultimately.
However, if you are confident in your abilities, then there should be no issue as long as you carry out the procedure with care.
To begin with, you would need to drill a pinhole-sized hole in the glass pane and try to rinse out the area inside to get rid of the dirt and other grime that may have piled up inside.
Or you could try inserting a desiccant packet inside the gap as suggested by HowToCleanStuff.net. That could absorb any and all existing moisture inside the gap.
Other ways of attempting to clean out the inside is by possibly putting some thin items together that could reach inside from the hole you have made and clean the inside out.
You could try to use a wire and wrap a sock or any other piece of cloth around the wire and then insert it inside the gap and clean as much as possible. Of course, this would be a more drastic measure to take if there is a lot piled up in your double pane windows.
- Without Drilling: Unlike the previous method, if your double pane windows do not have dirt, grime or other such bacteria inside, and you are only worried about the moisture inside the gap, then there are simpler methods to tackle that.
You could try to put a dehumidifier or space heater next to the double pane windows in order to reduce or evaporate the moisture altogether.
Another method could be to use a desiccant packet on the edge of the windows so it may try to absorb the moisture inside the gap.
- Replacement: Although the above two methods exist, sometimes it might just be time to switch out your old dual windows for new ones. If your double-pane windows are quite old, then it is definitely time to replace them.
However, if they are new and are accumulating too much inside the gap, then it would be a wise decision to either get them cleaned and maintained frequently or replace them.
To Sum Up…
- Double pane windows prevent heat and cold from disrupting the temperature inside your home and prevent loud noises from intruding your home as well.
- By protecting your house’s temperature, it lowers your need to use your air conditioner or heater. This then helps reduce your energy costs.
- Double pane windows are especially good if you live in a busy district and want to keep out the noise.
- Drilling a small hole in the window is a good way to clean out the inside but it can be a very tasking thing to do.
- You can avoid drilling a hole in the window if all you want to deal with is the moisture being produced inside the gap. That can be taken care of with a dehumidifier or a space heater or a desiccant packet.
- If all else fails, you need to call in and hire professional help to maintain your windows or get them entirely replaced if it has become too big of an issue.